Moving during “the most wonderful time of the year” can be anything but wonderful. But while it’s true that planning a move during such a hectic time can pose a few challenges, it can also be the perfect way to kick off the New Year.
If you’re moving homes this winter, these tips will help you plan your move while still enjoying the fun of the holidays.
How to Make Moving During the Holidays Less Stressful
1. Be flexible this time of year.
Unfortunately, even the most well-organized person can’t plan for a sudden snowstorm. With weather being very unpredictable this time of the year, realize that you may run into a few unexpected hiccups. Make sure to check the weather a few weeks before your scheduled moving date — if a storm is coming, you may have to change your original plan.
2. Embrace the gift of giving.
From clothes and toys to household decorations, charity organizations are always looking for donations around the holidays. Cut down on the amount of stuff you need to pack by donating items you haven’t used in a while but are still in good condition.
3. Don’t go overboard with decorations.
We hate to sound like the Grinch, but this isn’t the year to break out your most extravagant decorations. If your moving date is in December, there’s a good chance you’ll end up packing all of your decorations days after you hung them up — adding work to your already long to-do list.
4. Be prepared for colder temperatures.
Harsh temperatures will require a little more planning and preparation. Before the day of your move, make sure to:
- Lay runners and mats on the floor to prevent slip and fall accidents.
- Leave out warm clothes, extra socks, boots, scarves, and jackets for the day of your move.
- Have extra warm clothes packed in your “overnight bag,” along with blankets, pajamas, and toiletries.
- Make sure your heat and electric are turned on at the new house.
- Clear walkways and your driveway of any snow or ice.
5. Invest in storage services.
If you’re still showing your current home or your new one isn’t quite ready yet, having a storage unit ensures your belongings are always safe, even during the harshest weather conditions.
6. Give yourself the gift of time, courtesy of a moving company.
With office parties to attend, school plays to see, and presents to buy, most people would agree that their free time is stretched thin during the holidays. Rather than spend your nights and weekends packing, call on a moving company to take care of this task for you. With such a big job off your plate, you’ll have more time to organize other aspects of your move or simply enjoy time with your family.
Are you ready to make your next move the easiest one yet? Reach out to our team today at (866) 719-4209 to schedule a service! We lead the nation in quality scores for customer service. Plan your next move with us and discover why.